Effectively Implementing App Protection
Development’s Journey to Effectively Implementing App Protection
Because data is created, accessed, and changed through applications, hardening and shielding your applications is a key component to protecting your data. Adding application protection to your secure software development lifecycle will make it more difficult for people and machines to exploit them. But, what are the factors to consider when thinking about application risk? Effective application risk management is a sustained, consistent practice and technology selection and implementation is a specialized discipline within that practice. The initial steps below offer a roadmap to selecting and implementing application hardening and shielding as a part of a broader application risk management program.
The full Infographic in pdf form is available here.
- Does app have intellectual property?
- Does app gate access to value?
- Does app access private information?
- Is the app subject to regulation?
- Does app run in an untrusted environment?
- Protect against IP theft
- Mask vulnerabilities
- Protect against data theft
- Hinder tampering and fraud
- Reduce piracy
- Longevity and viability of company
- Support offered
- Internal references
- External references
- Support services
- Ease of integration
- Internal references
- Validation against requirements
For additional steps, download the full Development Buyers’s Journey for Application Protection PDF.Today, application hardening and layered security measures are recognized as a critical feature of overall IT compliance. In addition to feature, quality, and cost requirements, development organizations must additionally:
- Implement preventative, detective, and responsive controls to manage evolving application risks,
- Document proof of effective risk management meet future audit requirements,
- Re-evaluate supply chain risk when selecting third party technologies and applications, and
- Respond to market forces as user organizations incorporate their own risk management requirements into their selection and evaluation criteria.
Make sure you understand the threats and get familiar with applicable standards and regulations; and implement app development best practices to boost basic security for all your apps worth protecting.
Learn more about shielding mobile or IOT apps here.
And, learn more about shielding desktop or server applications here.