Do you or your company provide application(s) that run in an untrusted environment?
Because data is created, accessed, and changed through applications, hardening and shielding your applications is a key component to protecting your data. Adding application protection to your secure software development lifecycle will make it more difficult for people and machines to exploit them. Also, on some platforms (such as Java, Android, iOS and .NET) free decompilers can easily reverse-engineer source code from an executable or library in virtually no time and with no effort exposing all your intellectual property and potential security vulnerabilities.
Does it contain intellectual property, give access to sensitive information, or gated functionality.
If the answer to these questions is yes, then read on...
The initial steps below offer a roadmap to selecting and implementing application hardening and shielding as a part of a broader application risk management program.
- Does app have intellectual property?
- Does app gate access to value?
- Does app access private information?
- Is the app subject to regulation?
- Does app run in an untrusted environment?
- Protect against IP theft
- Mask vulnerabilities
- Protect against data theft
- Hinder tampering and fraud
- Reduce piracy
- Longevity and viability of company
- Support offered
- Internal references
- External references
- Support services
- Ease of integration
- Internal references
- Validation against requirements
For additional steps, download the full Development Buyers’s Journey for Application Protection PDF.
Today, application hardening and layered security measures are recognized as a critical feature of overall IT compliance.
Make sure you understand the threats and get familiar with applicable standards and regulations; and implement app development best practices to boost basic security for all your apps worth protecting.
The step above are designed to help you think of all the criteria required to find the solution that best fits your needs. If you'd like to learn more about our products, see below:
- For .NET teams, we have our Dotfuscator family of products.
- For Java teams, we have our DashO family of products.
- For iOS teams, we have our PreEmptive Protection for iOS family of products.
If you have any questions, please contact us!